I'm Mr. Interlux Brightside

interlux brightside boom mat
Driver's side footwell after the Boom Mat and
Interlux Brightside marine paint.

Not much of an update.  Just minor prepping my 1982 Camaro autocross car if/when 5.3 Version 1.2 is finished.  


The car was originally black, and ripping out the interior has revealed (no surprise) the original flat-black paint.  When working in the interior in my black hole of a garage with mediocre lighting, any dropped socket or torx bit seems to fall into the Hotel Oblivion. 


I wanted to coat the metal floor with sound deadening/heat resistant paint.  Searching on the internet, which is my number one skill for prepping this car, I settled on Boom Mat spray-on sound deadening.  Bought a can and experimented in the car's backend.  The pit/trunk area which is an ideal canvas for this kind of stuff.

Who doesn't like experimenting in the backend?

The Boom Mat was easy to control layering the ... paint?  Not much overspray.  Very little fumes.  As long as the critical bits were masked off, application was pretty easy.


I wanted to brighten up the interior and painted over the Boom Mat (after it dried, of course) with white Interlux Brightside marine paint.  

This is a paint that people use to cover the exterior of their boats, so it's really rugged.  I even used it 15 years or so ago when resurfacing the Sentra E trunklid that went on the last Sentra SE-R.  The paint is really easy to apply with a foam roller, which I did on the Sentra trunklid.  I did more wet sanding on that, but with the Boom Mat spray speckled layer, I didn't do anything else but foam-roller the Interlux paint.

The Interlux/foam roller "trick" on car exteriors isn't that uncommon.  I first learned of the process because people had been doing this on their roadrace cars.  Why spend $$$$ for a showcar paintjob when the car was probably going to get dented anyway.

First impressions: It looks pretty good!  I only painted the front half of the car's floorboard since "the pit" is occupied by the intake manifold, radiator, alternator and other parts since the engine was sent off to be rebuilt.  Once the those parts go back on with the engine install (and the weather warms up), I'll tackle the rest of the car.






Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments