I'm a louver, not a fighter! Project downfarce part deux!

1982-1983 Camaro hood louvers
Cutting a hole in your hood is better for aerodynamics.


In an effort for better aero, I did something a little easier than fabricate a rear spoiler -- installed hood louvers.

Going down this internet rabbit hole looking for tips on improving aerodynamics for a autocross car, it seems hood louvers are a nice benefit. Air supposedly gets trapped under the front of the car at speed, and the air can't escape as quickly, so the front end "lifts." With louvers, air has an exit strategy, and the front end doesn't rise as much. Which means the front tires make better contact with the road.

And louvers allow the engine to run cooler.

And they look cooler.

There was only one company I could find online that makes direct-fit louvers for 1982-1983 Camaros, so I ordered a set from them. The kit came with rivets, washers (for fitting under the hood material) and templates for cutting.

I opened the box and discovered they sent me directions for installing later 1985-1990 IROC/Z28 louvers, which are different than the OEM hood on my 1982 Camaro. And they sent a hardware kit for the later louvers, too, so the hardware kit was short six rivets and washers. I emailed them about it, but they didn't respond. At all.

About $15 later on the South American Rainforest site, I had enough rivets and washers. Which is why I'm not going to mention the name of the company. No free advertising for you!

Spend $330 for the an allegedly complete install kit, then spend another $15 on hardware to complete the installation.

Makes sense!

(And FWIW, there are sellers on eBay who carry the 1985-1990 louvers for a WHOLE LOT cheaper than what this company does. I imagine they are all made by the same little Chinese kids. Unfortunately, knock-offs apparently aren't available for 1982-1983 hoods like mine.)

The installation was pretty straightforward -- cut holes in the hood. Rivet louvers to hood. Done.

1982-1983 Camaro hood louver install
Driver-side hole cut and passenger-side template.


The only issue was my reluctance to slice an OEM composite hood (basically fiberglass found only on 1982-1983 Camaros). Searching around online, I found used hoods for $300, and a few days ago someone in Pennsylvania was selling one for $150. If my genuine GM product got messed up, it wouldn't be hard to find a replacement. The worst case scenario was to just drop around $700 for a new replica.

I didn't want to drop $700.

Whatever, just hack away. 

After cutting openings for the louvers, I realized after test-fitting that I sliced too much material off in a few areas. But it shouldn't really affect how the louvers fit -- might leave those areas without rivets or glue/resin composite material back on.

1982-1983 Camaro hood louvers
About 90-percent finished. The kit didn't have enough rivets and washers.


Autocrossing the car for the last time in about a week, so it will be interesting to see if I can notice a difference (along with the rear spoiler).

Comments