soloLOL Version 2.0: The Return of the Clownshoes

5.3 thirdgen Camaro LS swap

I wanted to start a new blog documenting my C-Prepared Camaro autocross build.  But then I got to thinking that after registering for five autocrosses since October 2020 and up to this point completing only two autocross runs, there is already a blog out there that is worthy of my exploits.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new soloLOL.  I can go into the car "build" but it's easier to start with simply trying to compete in an autocross the last six months.

Let's start with the task of registering online for a WDCR-SCCA autocross back in October. I signed up in our 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in H-Street for the WDCR autocross at Summit Point.  Really looking forward to it.  Had not autocrossed in three years.  But then I tested positive for The Covid a few days prior, so a no-go there.

Earlier this year, with my LS-swapped 1982 Camaro ready for action, registered for another WDCR autocross at Summit, it got canceled.

Then I registered for an autocross with the SCCA's Susquehanna Region at one of the Harrisburg Farm Show lots, and literally as I was pulling the car on the trailer the night before, the hydraulic throwout bearing popped.

The score up to this point: Three autocross registrations, zero runs.

With a new throwout bearing installed in the car's trusty T10 four-speed manual transmission, I registered for the Susquehanna Region's autocross on June 5.  The car made it on the trailer, towed all the way to Harrisburg, unloaded the car, went through tech, worked the first heat.  Finally second heat arrived and it appeared the car was ready to rumble.  I made it through the first run, still shaking off rust (from my driving skills, not from the car), punched the gas pedal through the finish, and the throttle cable popped off from the throttle body.

To reconnect the cable, I needed a tiny allen wrench, which of course I didn't stow away with all the (unnecessary) tools I brought along.  I had an entire set of metric and standard 3/8- and 1/4-inch sockets, metric wrench set, 1/2-inch cordless impact, every interior bolt and screw removed from the car, etc., etc., but not that little allen wrench.

I registered for the WDCR autocross last Sunday again at Summit Point.  This time it looked like everything would work out.  Adjusted the throttle cable on the car during the week so (hopefully) it wouldn't unhinge itself.  Packed that tiny allen wrench and even Amazon'ed an extra throttle cable just in case.

This time Mother Nature had plans.  Or as I've called her through the years, Mother Fuckin' Nature.  She's hampered my chances at getting a trophy at the Solo Nationals at least once.  Never showed up when I wanted her to (racing a Sentra against RWD cars in a MARRS event at Summit ).

Lining up for my first run on Sunday, and wouldn't you know it, rain started to fall.  I made a tentative first run, way off the pace -- I think H-Street cars were faster -- and the skies opened up.

Let's backtrack a little bit.  The part where the throttle cable came off at the Farm Show autocross and I thought I adjusted back to the good since then?  Well I didn't.  I tightened the cable so the throttle body opened up maybe 3/4ths wide open.

The first run on Sunday, tentative, hindered even further by my bad mechanical skills, and this, ladies and gentlemen, is where we're at with SoloLOL Version 2.

I fixed the throttle cable (pretty sure, no really, this time it's fixed) when the rain let up.  But then the skies dumped Mother Fuckin' Nature's tears again.  The "autocross pad" at Summit is a former kart track with round islands and virtually no runoff for water to drain.  Larry Casey said it would suck.  It would suck even more for a car on Hoosiers, so I bailed on the rest of my runs.  The Latshaws and SamV did, too, so I felt comfortable in my decision.  I still finished second in CP, although it felt like contracting syphilis, the best of the STDs.

Maybe next time.  There's always the next time.


Comments