(not so) FAST AND (too) LOUD

1982 camaro waldorf autocross
Finally got another car as buffer between me and all the f'ing Miatas!

Another incident-free autocross in the books.

Sort of.

I mentioned from the first WDCR autocross that exhaust sound was being checked to appease the neighbors. I made it through that event without even breaking 90dbs. And apparently made it through unscathed at the autocross after that. Next D.C. Region autocross after that, not sure what the sound readings were but I received no warnings, so I thought I was good to go.

On Saturday, event No. 3 with the D.C. Region in Waldorf, I made two runs -- first was a 38.4 and then a second faster on the next run with a 37.4. 

I came across the finish after my third run and clocked a 37.1. I made a little mistake going into one section and pushed a little wide and knew 36s were a possibility if I could clean that up.

And then I was told my exhaust exceeded maximum sound. 

This is where I should have had a better understanding of the rules.

Maximum sound reading is 100.0 per Appendix H of the SCCA rules. I was told my car was 100db, and with no way to fix it, I figured I was done for the day. I would have really liked to complete my two remaining runs and get into the 36s, but I loaded the Camaro on the trailer and took my ball home.

When I got home, I looked closer at the rules, and indeed the maximum reading is 100.0. I was informed just "100" after my third run and the log from the workers monitoring sound showed just "100." So was it 100.0? 100.1? If I would have known the rule better, I could have asked for clarification and perhaps gotten one or two of my remaining runs in.

But whatever, it's for a $5 trophy and nobody else is in C Prepared.

Actually, they aren't giving out trophies as far as I can tell!

Here's my fastest run with SoloStorm overlay:


The car ran fine which seems to be the usual now. [knock on wood] Still need to figure out how to get another 1.5-2 seconds out of it, which I don't think can be accomplished as it sits now. Adding aero (rear spoiler and possibly a front splitter) is something that I think would cut some time, but I'd likely have to make that stuff from scratch. It's not as easy as hacking some aluminum or polyethylene and bolting it on -- I'd like to make it so pieces are easy to remove and reinstall in case of trailer/ramp clearance.

Next autocross is likely the second week of August again in Waldorf with the D.C. Region.

If you've read this far, here is a teaser shot of (hopefully) that aero modification:

1982 camaro autocross aero3
Downforce or downfarce?


Comments