The Fancy Camaro

I predict two DNFs
I correctly predicted how many DNFs I would get.

Another autocross where I wanted to drive my Camaro, this time at Ripken Stadium with the Philly SCCA Region.  And because of this, that and the other thing, I didn't have a car.  It still had the "fuel issue" from the last time I tried to autocross.  Injectors were sent out to be tested (they were fine).  The C5 Corvette filter/regulator was replaced (it didn't change a thing).  Ultimately a new fuel pump was installed, and there was a small issue that kept it from working.  Really dumb issue that I'm not even going to mention in public what the issue was.

Still kind of antsy and expecting to autocross but not wanting to drive the Slothtrek or the Lightning (which has minor suspension stuff that makes me leery of autocrossing it), I scanned the entry list Thursday morning looking to see if I could troll for a co-drive, saw that my friend Clyde Caplan had signed up.

Clyde and I go way back.  We met up in 2006 or so driving out to the Solo Nationals when I developed a flat tire on Karen's old black 1997 Camaro Z28.  I pulled over and started changing the tire.  Clyde took pictures.  Also when Karen got season tickets for the Washington Capitals, Clyde had tickets in the next section.

He's asked me about co-driving with him a couple times over the past few years, mainly doing national SCCA events.  I really don't have much of a desire anymore to dedicate time off driving halfway across the country to hang out in parking lots.  Seeing the great beauty of the sites in the western United States is much more desirable.

Anyway, back to talking about cars. I figured Clyde would be receptive to me begging for a co-drive.  He has a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE that's setup for B Street.  #Merica.  

Leading up to Sunday morning, I started feeling a little nervous because  this was probably the highest horsepower car I've ever driven.  Did a couple practice runs in a Super Street Prepared C6 Corvette Z06 in 2010 before the Dixie National Tour, and maybe that had more horsies?  But this would be on street tires.

Weather was great, temps in the 60s to start things off.  Clyde gave me the rundown of turning traction control off and some other info on all the other buttons in the car.  

So many buttons.  

Between my 1982 Camaro and Karen's 1996 Camaro 1LE, there are maybe six buttons combined, and those are for the radio in Karen's car.  

My first run was kind of conservative getting the feel for the car.  I had a huge spin on my fourth run just before the finish.  There was dip in the asphalt in that section, and I think I tried to give it throttle right there and launched into a snap spun.  The next run was much better with a 39.6, which was on the same tenth as Clyde but a hundredth faster.  But Clyde drove better after that and went faster, down to a 38.8, and I stayed on that 39.6.

I guess my result wasn't too bad, second in class, 16th in PAX, but I felt I threw away chances at faster times with two more runs after that 39.6 and didn't capitalize while Clyde did.  The car felt great on the Falkens but definitely punished you if trying to get over-zealous with the throttle.  Visibility wasn't too hateful either, which was surprising.  Karen said it was unique when she ordered her 1996 Camaro 1LE to get it with air conditioning, so the 2020 1LE seemed more like a luxo-pony car in comparison.  AC, cruise, power seats (with memory controls), not to mention traction control, four different driving modes (touring, sport, track and snow/ice), and an integrated video camera to record each run.  Probably mentioning only half the options!  

It was fancy.  It was the Fancy Camaro.

Comments